Untitled drawing.jpg

Sunday, June 25, 2017

HyperDoc Revolution!

“By building multiple, effective educational philosophies into each HyperDoc, each digital lesson has the potential to upend the way you instruct with technology. The reason HyperDocs work is because each one begins with a strong lesson design, curates quality instructional content, and packages learning in a way that engages learners.”
--Highfill, Hilton, and Landis The HyperDoc Handbook pgs 7-8

At the Wyoming GAFE Summit in June, I stumbled across this book (The HyperDoc Handbook) and with it a concept I didn’t know I had been looking for at some length. For years I have taught a Holocaust Literature Circles Unit and have been looking and trying different ways to build my 8th graders’ background knowledge of the time and the circumstances that these characters experience. I have yet to find an effective way to ensure that we all have a common language and set of events to reference during our discussions of these novels. I have lectured with a PowerPoint. I have used a WebQuest of the USHMM, I have even had students build a class timeline through notes and wall decor. It all seems to be teacher-centered and massively time consuming.
Enter the HyperDoc. As I was reading through this book that I acquired at the GAFE Summit at the beginning of the month, I discovered that by using Google Docs/Slides in a different way I could revolutionize the WebQuest and create an efficient and effective way for my students to learn the content I need them to learn quickly.
This interactive lesson plan with hyperlinks and embedded content will allow me to not only direct my students to the websites and content I know will benefit them. But also help eliminate the distractions that come from allowing them to explore the internet on their own. This will allow me have them explore the content I need them to understand; while efficiently allowing them to discover and explore. It will also feed my appetite for pretty and creative learning handouts (even if it is a digital one)!
Before you start using HyperDocs on your own there are a few things you need to explore and consider. HyperDocs are more than just an interactive webliography. HyperDocs come in a number of structures but need to be more than just exploratory. They should also allow your students to apply, share, reflect and extend their knowledge of the content. The ladies that created the HyperDoc have put together a beautiful website to help you navigate this new format. The HyperDocs Website (https://goo.gl/McN3ZW) details the how and why of HyperDocs. These are more than just a digital worksheet. These should take you through the SAMR model of technology integration and transform the way your students interact with your content on the web.
HyperDocs also allow you to incorporate the 4C’s of 21st Century. Through this digital and interactive lesson plan you can have your students think critically about the content, connect with new ideas about a subject, create a meaningful representation of their learning, and collaborate with their peers to apply that learning. All of this packaged in a student-centered and engaging digital document that can be easily assessed digitally.
The next best part about the HyperDoc community is that these gems are meant to share. With the Teachers Give Teachers movement, there are tons of HyperDocs out there ready for you to use, tweak, and revolutionize at the click of a button!


I will keep you updated on my HyperDoc journey and post my interactive lessons on my Resources page.

Photos from The HyperDoc Handbook by Lisa Highfield, Kelly Hilton and Sarah Landis

11 comments:

  1. I truly like you're composing style, incredible data, thankyou for posting.
    360Digitmg Six Sigma black belt in hyderabad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a very useful article. Very interesting to read this article.I would like to thank you for the efforts you had made for writing this awesome article.
    360Digitmg digital marketing training in hyderabad

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a new user of this site so here i saw multiple articles and posts posted by this site,I curious more interest in some of them hope you will give more information on this topics in your next articles.
    360Digitmg Python Training institute

    ReplyDelete

  4. This is a wonderful article, Given so much info in it, These type of articles keeps the users interest in the website, and keep on sharing more ... good luck.
    360digitmg aws course in hyderabad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent Blog! I would like to thank for the efforts you have made in writing this post. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. I wanted to thank you for this websites! Thanks for sharing. Great websites!
    360Digitmg marketing -Analytics course- in-Hyderabad

    ReplyDelete
  6. ExcelR provides data science course in pune. It is a great platform for those who want to learn and become a data science Course. Students are tutored by professionals who have a degree in a particular topic. It is a great opportunity to learn and grow.


    data science course in pune
    data science Course
    data scientist course in pune with placement
    data scientist course in pune

    ReplyDelete
  7. Informative blog post,
    Digital Marketing Course in Hyderabad
    Digital Marketing is right now the most stable job you could have. There are many openings for Digital Marketers around the globe. Hence we suggest you to attend our digital marketing course in Hyderabad to acquire skills that a Digital Marketer needs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a splendid website! I"m extremely content with the remarks!.
    data scientist training and placement in hyderabad

    ReplyDelete
  9. You completely match our expectation and the variety of our information.
    data science training

    ReplyDelete
  10. In the wake of perusing your article, I was astounded. I realize that you clarify it well overall. What's more, I trust that different perusers will likewise encounter how I feel in the wake of perusing your article.
    data science training in hyderabad

    ReplyDelete

Popular

Blog Archive